Explore, learn about, and document your geologic surroundings! Whether you are a professional geoscientist or curious about the rocks around you and the stories they tell, Rockd allows you to explore and learn about the geologic record, contribute your own observations, and log your journey through the geologic record.
– Instant access to geologic and geographic summaries of your current location via a Dashboard
– Interactive global access to more than 140 geologic maps, with more being added weekly
– See your past location and explore paleogeographic maps from C.R. Scotese and GPlates
– Explore published literature containing mentions of mapped geologic units (when available) via GeoDeepDive
– Elevation data for most points on Earth from SRTM, GMTED, NED and ETOPO1
– Add your own field observations even offline; tag features from Macrostrat and the Paleobiology Database
– Record strike/dip or trend/plunge for geologic features, using your phone's compass
– Track your progress through the geologic record privately, or share it with others
– See the public activity of other users and share your own and other public checkins using unique URLs
Rockd is produced by the Macrostrat lab in the Department of Geoscience at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Support provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Dept. of Geoscience.
Experiencing issues? Send an email to [email protected] and we will do our best to help you resolve it.
+ Curious what kind of fossils are nearby? New taxa summary on the dashboard provides insight using the Paleobiology Database
+ Bug fixes